The Mandarin Bilingual program is a Program of Choice that enables students to :
- Develop oral comprehension and fluency in both English and Mandarin
- Develop the ability to read and write Chinese
- Gain an understanding of Canadian and Chinese cultures
- Develop knowledge and appreciation for diverse cultures while learning a second language
- Complete the requirements of the BC Curriculum
- Develop their knowledge of other cultures and the program helps prepare students for the global economy
The Mandarin Bilingual Program provides students with instruction in both English and Mandarin.
Regardless of their first language, the elementary program offers all students the possibility of completing 50 percent of the prescribed B.C. curriculum in Mandarin and 50 percent of the prescribed B.C. curriculum in English.
Subjects taught in English are :
English Language Arts
Subjects taught in Mandarin are :
Chinese Language Arts
Health and Career Education
Simplified Chinese script will be introduced in Kindergarten. The Hanyu Pinyin pronunciation system will be taught to accelerate the process of learning to read Chinese.
Which schools offer the Mandarin Bilingual Program?
Application Process for Mandarin Bilingual Program?
- Children entering Kindergarten in September 2024 must apply through the Programs of Choice application online.
- Students entering Grade 1 (currently in Kindergarten) wishing to enroll should contact Shauna Beaton-Rae, Language and Culture Coordinator and
should not apply online.
- Kindergarten children with siblings in the program still apply online and will be given highest priority (provided the sibling will be enrolled in the Mandarin Bilingual Program at Walton Elementary School in the following school year), if space is available. Please clearly identify sibling status on the online application form.
- Applications will be processed on a RANDOM DRAW BASIS.
To apply for:
Mandarin Bilingual Program for September 2024
Kindergarten Program of Choice parents will be notified by email on the status of their application beginning Monday, January 29th.
Late Program of Choice parents will be notified by email on the status of their application beginning Tuesday, January 30th.
For more information, contact:
Ms. Shauna Beaton-Rae
Language and Culture Coordinator
1100 Winslow Avenue
Coquitlam, BC V3J 2G3