CROSS CATCHMENT PROCESS
Parents sometimes wish for their children to attend a school that is not their catchment school. In such cases, parents must first register at their catchment school.
School District 43 uses a random draw process for Cross Catchment Applications (using in-district priority, then out-of-district).
If enrolment projections show that space is available, Cross Catchment transfer applications will be accepted in accordance with the following priorities: (i) sibling of a child who will be in attendance at the Cross Catchment school in the following year; (ii) a child residing within the SD43 residential boundaries (could include private or homeschool) and (iii) non-school district resident child.
The School Locator tool on the district web site provides a student's designated catchment area schools. Catchment is based on permanent home address.
There are two separate applications:
- Kindergarten Cross Catchment
- Grades 1-12 Cross Catchment (including a section to confirm sibling status)
Important Information About Schools at Capacity
A cross catchment application does not guarantee approval of the cross catchment request as many factors influence the number of cross catchment requests that each individual school can accommodate.
For example, a number of schools are near, or have reached, capacity and it is anticipated they will continue to be in this position for the next few years. Be aware that the district can only approve cross catchment applications up to the current and future available space in any given school and students within the catchment have priority for placement.
*Smiling Creek Elementary School will only consider cross-catchment applications from families in the Leigh catchment area who reside east of Kingston Street & North of David Avenue.*
Approval of a cross catchment application is only applicable to the designated school requested by the student and assigned by the district.
Changing levels from elementary to middle, or middle to secondary school, outside of the student's assigned catchment school requires a cross catchment application and approval.
If enrol ment projections show that space is available, cross catchment transfer applications will be accepted in accordance with the following priorities: (i) catchment area child; (ii) non-catchment area child; and (iii) non-school district child.
Application Process for Cross Catchment
- Applications will be processed based on the availability of space in schools and on a RANDOM DRAW PROCESS. (using in-district priority then out-of-district)
- The application requires student number or Personal Education Number (PEN) (can be obtained from your child's school), child's birth date, home address, name of current or assigned school, and the name of the requested school(s). Kindergarten requests do not need to provide the student number/ PEN.
- All Kindergarten students must be registered for Kindergarten at their catchment school between January 27 and February 4, 2021 using the online form on their catchment school website. Cross Catchment Applications may only be completed after registration at catchment schools.
- Kindergarten students who have a sibling at a school outside their catchment, will be accepted at the sibling's school (provided the sibling will still be in attendance the following school year) and are requested to register for their sibling's school between January 27 and February 4, 2021. Therefore, Kindergarten parents do not need to fill out a Cross Catchment Application verifying sibling status. The exception to this is for a Program of Choice. Parents must complete the online Kindergarten Programs of Choice Application for siblings to attend the same program. Kindergarten children with siblings in a Program of Choice must still apply online.
- Grades 1-12 students, who have a sibling at a school outside their catchment, will be accepted at the sibling's school (provided the sibling will be in attendance when the student begins at the out-of-catchment school). Parents still need to complete the Cross Catchment Application confirming sibling status.
- The district response to applications will be communicated by email.
To apply for Cross Catchment:
Apply on the main page of our website, between Friday, February 5, 2021 at 9 a .m. and Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 4 p.m.