The Mandarin Bilingual program is a Program of Choice that enables students to :
- Develop oral comprehension and fluency in both English and Mandarin
- Develop the ability to read and write Chinese
- Gain an understanding of Canadian and Chinese cultures
- Develop knowledge and appreciation for diverse cultures while learning a second language
- Complete the requirements of the BC Curriculum
- Students develop their knowledge of other cultures and the program helps prepare students for the global economy
The Mandarin Bilingual Program provides students with instruction in both English and Mandarin.
Regardless of their first language, the elementary program offers all students the possibility of completing 50 percent of the prescribed B.C. curriculum in Mandarin and 50 percent of the prescribed B.C. curriculum in English.
Subjects taught in English are :
- English Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Fine Arts
Subjects taught in Mandarin are :
- Chinese Language Arts
- Health and Career Education
- Physical Education
Simplified Chinese script will be introduced in Kindergarten. The Hanyu Pinyin pronunciation system will be taught to accelerate the process of learning to read Chinese.
WHICH SCHOOLS OFFER THE MANDARIN BILINGUAL PROGRAM?
Walton Elementary School
Scott Creek Middle School
Gleneagle Secondary School
- Children entering Kindergarten in September 2020 must apply through the programs of choice online application
- Applications for Mandarin Bilingual Program are to be completed on the main page of our website between January 16, 2020, Thursday, 9 a.m. to January 22, 2020, Wednesday, 4 p.m.
- Applications for Kindergarten are done by random draw and will be limited to the number of spaces available. Late application forms will not be part of the draw.
- Kindergarten children with siblings in a program of choice must apply online. Siblings of students already enrolled in the Mandarin Bilingual Program at Walton Elementary School will be given first priority. Please clearly identify sibling status on the online application form
- Students entering Grade 1 (currently in Kindergarten) wishing to enroll should contact the school directly and should not apply online.
All parents are encouraged to attend the parent information meeting to learn about the program.
Mandarin Bilingual Program - Parent Information Meeting
Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - RESCHEDULED TO: Monday, January 20, 2020
6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Walton Elementary School
2960 Walton Avenue, Coquitlam
As this is an information meeting for parents/guardians, kindly make arrangements to leave your children at home.
For more information, contact:
Ms. Sophie Bergeron,
Language and Culture Coordinator
1100 Winslow Avenue
Coquitlam, BC V3J 2G3
604 937 6392