On May 31, SD43's École Panorama Heights Elementary School held a special event to announce the official opening of their 4-classroom addition project.
Construction of the new addition began in summer of 2020 and was completed in the fall of 2021 for students to start learning in their new, modern, and sustainable classrooms.
Several design and construction elements have also been considered and were added to the school including:
- Paying special attention to acoustics in classroom and hallway spaces
- Adding a universal washroom, considering our staff and students with diverse abilities
- Choosing a unique marmoleum flooring, made with sustainable materials
- Efficient and easy to maintain heating and ventilation systems that are also quiet for learning
- Dimmable LED lights
- Incorporating lots of windows for more natural light
Thank you to the Ministry of Education and Child Care for providing over $6 million for the construction of this building addition.
Thank you to the City of Coquitlam for collaborating with us in funding this project and for ensuring safety, building permits and bylaw protocols were in place during the construction.
The construction process may have been challenging but it is the collaboration between all teams that has helped to ensure students are able to continue to thrive in a positive learning environment.
Congratulations École Panorama Heights School Community and we hope you enjoy your new, modern classroom facility!
Thank you as well to the following dignitaries for attending the event.
- Board Chair, Michael Thomas
- Vice- Chair Carol Cahoon
- Trustee Craig Woods
- Superintendent of Schools/CEO, Patricia Gartland
- Secretary Treasurer, Mo Azim
- Coquitlam Mayor, Richard Stewart
- City Councillor, Craig Hodge
- Assistant Superintendent, Gerald Shong and Reno Ciolfi
- Directors of Instruction, Stephen Whiffin and Paul McNaughton
- Executive Director, Facilities and Planning Services, Ivano Cecchini
- Principal, Facilities Initiatives Devon Ross
- Project Manager, Rod Pengelley
- DA Architects + Planners
- RJS Construction