It was a happy day for the RC MacDonald School community, as they celebrated the official opening of their new inclusive and accessible playground.
The new play structures at RC MacDonald and Minnekhada Middle School are two of 30 new playgrounds throughout the province that have received funding of $165,000 as part of the Government of BC's Playground Equipment Program (PEP), which promotes physical activity and healthier lifestyles for students.
The playground provides the opportunity for students to move around, learn new things, reduce anxiety, improve focus, enhance attention spans and work on physical, social, emotional and sensory development.
The well-designed, inclusive playground enables children of all abilities to develop physically, cognitively, socially and emotionally. A universally accessible and inclusive playground also provides just the right level of challenge to meet kids where they are, addresses all levels of ability, and creates play experiences for a variety of needs and interests.
Thank you to the following dignitaries for making this event a successful one!
- Minister of Education and Child Care, Jennifer Whiteside
- MLA (Coquitlam-Maillardville), Selina Robinson
- Board Chair Michael Thomas
- Vice Chair Carol Cahoon
- Trustees, Barb Hobson, Jennifer Blatherwick, and Craig Woods
- Assistant Superintendent Gerald Shong
- Secretary Treasurer Mo Azim
- Executive Director Facilities and Planning Ivano Cecchini
- District Principal of Facilities Devon Ross
- SD43 Maintenance crew
- Brad Neufeld of Habitat Systems Inc.
We are pleased to also share that through the Government of BC's Playground Equipment Program, Meadowbrook Elementary School and Roy Stibbs Elementary School will each be receiving a grant of $165,000. We are currently in the preliminary planning stages for building these new inclusive and universally accessible playgrounds.