On June 26th, the Vanier Garden Habitat Club, which includes SD43 students from the APEX and Encompass Programs, received the City of Coquitlam Environmental Achievement Award for their Conservation and Habitat Project that involved creating a pollinating meadow, mason bee houses, a flicker nest box, and building composters.
The City's Environmental Achievement Awards recognize individuals, organizations, and educators who have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to promoting, conserving, and enhancing Coquitlam's natural environment.
The group would like to thank the following institutions for their ongoing support :
- Thank you to TD Bank Friends of the Environment for funding the tools and building supplies.
- Rotary Club of Coquitlam for funding materials and helping
- Thank you to Urban Roots for donating flats of starter plants
- Thank you to Burke Mountain Naturalists for your ongoing support
- Thank you to Plan Bee Native Nursery for providing the local native plant species for the pollinating meadow
About the Vanier Garden Habitat Club
The Vanier Community Garden and Habitat Club, which started in 2021, is a group of garden and habitat enthusiasts empowering students to cultivate a sense of belongingness and volunteerism through the planting and growing of fruits, vegetables, plants, and enhancing habitat spaces for animals.
The club has applied to be certified as a Wildlife Friendly Habitat Space with Canadian Wildlife Federation and is hoping to inspire more students to become stewards of the land.