On the last week before winter break, SD43's Energy Department launched its first district wide contest, called the “Winter Shutdown", which helped educate and encourage students to take actions in reducing energy consumption by unplugging devices not in use at schools during the holiday break and by demonstrating leadership in sustainability efforts.
The campaign also provided schools a promotional poster, a shutdown checklist to show what can and can't be turned off and PA announcement scripts for the week to inform students on what the schools can help to reduce energy and Green House Gases.
A total of 22 schools participated with six winners that were awarded $250 each namely:
- Terry Fox Secondary – 536 points
- Birchland Elementary –335 points
- Leigh Elementary – 190 points
- Forming a winning team Port Moody Secondary and Moody Middle School and Moody Elementary School– combined 769 points
- Hazel Trembath El. – 180 points
- Riverview Park El. – 171 points
- Ecole Rochester El. – 163 points
- Aspenwood El. – 157 points
A big thank you for taking on and organizing this campaign at your schools and for supporting energy conservation and environmental sustainability at School District 43! – Adrian Pettyfer, Energy Specialist