- Each middle school has a Gifted Education Resource teacher who oversees the gifted/enrichment programs for students.
- Identification and programming decisions are the responsibility of the child's home school. Individual Education Plans (IEPs) are written to reflect the needs and goals of identified students.
- Each middle school offers Grade 6-8 students school-based enrichment in class and/or in special groupings, such as pullout groups . Possible adaptations for challenge available at middle schools include compacting, enrichment, and individualized projects.
- Several middle schools are cluster grouping their gifted students, within a regular classroom context. Clustering is a research-based strategy that works well with our gifted learners.
- Middle school students with exceptional leadership skills in Grades 7-8 may be selected to represent their school on the District Student Leadership Council.
District- and Community-Based Services
- Middle Age Cluster Class (MACC) is a three year program where identified gifted students are clusters together for the four core subjects (Language Arts, Science, Math and Social Studies). There are three classes (grade 6, 7 & 8) at each of our MACC sites: Citadel Middle School, Hillcrest Middle School, Kwayhquitlum Middle School. Our district MAC Classes are designed for students of high ability who have been formally identified as gifted. Applications will be distributed midyear through your home school. Parents are responsible for transportation to and from MACC schools. Click here for further details about MACC
- Middle Magnet Workshops are district-initiated sessions for Grade 6-8 students, led by experts in specific fields of interest: science, media, art, technology, drama, computers, writing, Odyssey of the Mind, and mathematics. These workshops are offered at community and district sites, such as the Evergreen Cultural Centre, Winslow Centre, and hosting schools. Middle Magnets are promoted through the Gifted Education Contacts' Newsletter (GECCO), and students are registered for Middle Magnet Workshops by their school's Gifted Education Contact. Space is limited. Parents are responsible for transportation. Check out the current GECCO Newsletter for detailed discriptions of workshops.
Contact Louise Malfesi, Gifted Education Coordinator, for more information.