At SD43's June 5, 2018 public board meeting, the Board of Education approved proceeding with the school district's Educational Learning Centre (ELC) which will relocate the school district's board office to the Winslow Centre campus.
The ELC will be a purposefully designed, multi-use facility for learning, operational and support services that offers space for operational departments, student support departments, meeting rooms and other flexible learning spaces. It will include several departments from multiple aged-out administrative facilities while cconsolidating functions to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
The rationale for the ELC presented at a recent community consultation event and to the Board of Education included:
- the current school district leadership, educational and administrative functions are mainly dispersed over five locations most of which are functionally inadequate;
- consolidating these administrative departments will improve functional effectiveness and efficiency;
- there is no safe and functional space for an Emergency Command Centre – a necessity to ensure the safety of over 35,000 students and employees in the event of an emergency;
- the current district administrative space has always been planned as parking for Centennial Secondary and the Centennial Community Centre;
- this aligns with SD43's Directions 2020 Strategic Vision Goal #3 to Foster a Sustainable Educational Organization: Ensure that our human, financial and physical resources are sustainable.
The ELC will be built in a fiscally responsible manner that saves money in the long-term from: reduced energy use; time and travel fees for employees who must travel between facilities for meetings, events, and activities; infrastructure and technology enhancements; improved productivity for those using the spaces; and more.
The Board decision to approve the $36 million in funding followed several years of planning, numerous Board discussions, and a recent community consultation event that offered positive feedback on the proposed building, its needs, and siting options from the employees, local residents and community members who attended.
The project will now move forward into the design, drawing, and permitting stages. The targeted completion date is late 2020/early 2021.
The Board offered their appreciation to SD43's Leadership, Finance and Facilities teams who were instrumental in moving this forward through the long planning and technical phases to date.
Additional details including conceptual site designs in a video presentation format can be located on our website at www.sd43.bc.ca/CapitalProjects/Pages/ELC.aspx
SD43’s near 60-year old Board office is one of
several aged-out buildings housing multiple administrative
departments which would be relocated to the new ELC, along with other
departments from other facilities.