Several years ago, Michael Hind from the Tri Cities Chamber of Commerce introduced Superintendent Patricia Gartland to Ryan Peterson of Finger Food Advanced Technology Group, a local technology company that was, at the time developing into a global technology innovator.
Mr. Peterson and Finger Food expressed interest in partnering with School District 43 to support technology education and Science, Technology, Engineering and Math learning – commonly referred to as 'STEM'. This was the beginning of an amazing community partnership that resulted in the introduction of Sphero robotics equipment in schools.
Today, Spheros can be found in all of the district's 46 elementary schools and provide students an introductory coding experience as well as an opportunity to practice the BC Core Competencies of Critical and Creative Thinking. Finger Food supported the program with donated equipment and expertise needed to develop teacher capacity. In turn, the School District assisted Finger Food with the development of effective classroom activities and a better understanding of how the Sphero can help students learn.
Photo By: Elaan Bauder
School District 43 is proud to announce the next level of their partnership, where students get to learn computer programming, critical thinking and work with the latest in technological capabilities first-hand and apply that technology in creative ways applicable to real-world problems, through the “Pepper" Robot.
Two robot devices will be made available to each of Scott Creek Middle School, École Kwayhquitlum Middle School, Centennial Secondary and Pinetree Secondary Schools. Two more units will be available at Winslow Centre for schools to book and visit.
Thank you for the substantial investment of Finger Food Advanced Technology and Softbank Robotics and to our special guests including:
- Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Selina Robinson, MLA Coquitlam-Maillardville,
- Rick Glumac, MLA Port Moody-Coquitlam,
- Coquitlam Mayor Richard Stewart
- Coquitlam City Councilor Steve Kim
- Port Coquitlam City Councilor Glenn Pollock
School District Board of Education
- Board of Education Chair Kerri Palmer Isaak,
- Board of Education Vice-Chair Craig Woods,
- Trustee Jennifer Blatherwick,
- Trustee Carol Cahoon,
- Trustee Barb Hobson,
- Trustee Christine Pollock,
- Trustee Michael Thomas,
School District 43 District Leadership Team
- Superintendent Patricia Gartland,
- Secretary Treasurer Chris Nicolls,
- Assistant Superintendent Carey Chute,
- Assistant Superintendent Reno Ciolfi,
- Assistant Superintendent Gerald Shong,
- Assistant Superintendent Rob Zambrano,
- Director of Instruction, CIO Stephen Whiffin,
- Director of Instruction Paul McNaughton,
- Executive Director of Facilities and Planning Services Ivano Cecchini,
- Assistant Director of Communications and Community Relations Ken Hoff