GRADUAL ENTRY AND FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Bienvenue & Welcome to École Glen Elementary
We are so happy to welcome our new Kindergarten children. All elementary schools in Coquitlam use a gradual entry plan for Kindergarten students. The gradual entry is to help our Kindergarten students have a successful and happy start. Starting well is very important to helping your child have a positive school year. Thank you for your patience as we know managing childcare and work can be a challenge.
Prior to the start of school you will receive an email with your child's teacher's name.
For Registered French and English Kindergarten Students
Tues. Sept. 5, 2017: Check-In
- Your child's first day of kindergarten! Allow lots of time.
- Please meet your child's teacher in the gym at 8:35 for a quick introduction (approximately 30 minutes) and confirmation of registration
- Sign up for the Welcoming Conversation time
- Do not use the staff parking lot.
Wed. Sept. 6, 2017, Thurs. Sept. 7 and Fri, Sept 8 Welcoming Conversations
- 30 minute Welcoming Conversations (your child only attends for his/her appointment time)
- Kindergarten child (no brothers/ sisters please) and parent(s) attend.
Mon. Sept. 11, 2017: Small Group Introduction
- Students attend in small groups
- Group A - 9:15 - 11:15 am
- Group B - 12:00 - 2:00 pm
Tues. Sept. 12, 2017: Half Day Introduction
- All students attend 9:15am - 12:00 pm.
- Students need to bring a recess snack and lunch to practice eating at school.
- Lunch will begin at 11:20 am on this day.
English program: Please label a nutritious recess snack with a "S' for snack and "L" for lunch
French program: Please label a nutritious recess snack with a "C" for collation and your child's lunch with a "D" for déjeuner.
Wed. Sept. 13, 2017: First Full Day
- All students attend their first full day of kindergarten!
- 8:35 am - 2:38 pm- please be on time
- Students need to bring a healthy recess snack and lunch (please see above), please send water to drink
Our organization for September is not set and your child's placement in the English program may change as a result of families who have moved away or because of increased registrations
School supplies have been bulk ordered for Kindergarten students. If you haven't done so, please create an online account and pay online (in the amount of $40) before your Welcoming Conversation.
Parents'/guardians' must to tell your daycare or before and/or after school childcare provider of:
-Early Dismissals & Professional Days- see the school calendar on the website
-The Gradual Entry Schedule- above
Please note- In June 2018 K students will arrive 2 hours late (English Program) or leave 2 hours early (French Program) to allow for the Welcome to K event for the incoming K students.
Click HERE to see a short video in English on helping you child start kindergarten.
Click HERE for the Chinese version
The Glen Staff is so excited to be back in school to welcome your child we look forward to seeing you on the first day of school
Sarah Husband Mike Bird
- Allows the teacher to learn about your child and your family to help your child start well in school
- Gives your child the opportunity to meet the teacher
- Gives you the opportunity to get to know the teacher and ask question
- Please have your child select a special object (ex. toy, picture, blanket) that he/she feels is important, to bring to the Welcoming Conversation to share with the teacher
- Other items to bring to the Welcome Conversation, to help make the transition to full day kindergarten smoother:
- A family photo for our classroom community bulletin board
- Completed 'Kindergarten Family Information Form' (given to families on day 1)
- Labeled inside shoes (Velcro please if your child is unable to tie his/her shoes)
- Box of Kleenex (not labeled-will be shared)
- Complete change of labeled clothing including: underwear, socks, pants, shirt
- A labeled towel to be used to lie or sit on during Quiet Time
- Criminal Record Check and Volunteer Package (found in the "FORMS" section of our school website: http://www.sd43.bc.ca/elementary/glen) if you would like to volunteer and/or join us.
Please note- In June 2018 K students will arrive 2 hours late one day in May/June to allow for the Welcome to K event for the incoming K students.