There are 5 required provincial examinations all students must write in order to graduate. These include:
- English 10 (worth 20% of the final grade)
- Either Principals of Mathematics 10 or Essentials of Mathematics 10 (worth 20% of the final grade)
- Science 10 (worth 20% of the final grade)
- Social Studies 11 (worth 20% of the final grade)
- Either English 12 or Communications 12 (worth 40% of the final grade)
Many other grade 12 courses have "optional" exams. These exams may be taken by students hoping for scholarships or wishing to improve their overall marks. Some Post Secondary Institutions may require these "optional" exams for entrance. Other Post Secondary Institutions do not require the exam, or offer the student the better of the two marks (school only or blended). This information changes regularly and parents and students are suggested to check the requirements of each institution they are interested in before making the decision not to write an "optional" exam. If written, these exams are worth 40% of the final grade.
For more exam information including exam schedules, please see: Ministry of Education Exams