A little about us...
Please search our library collection on Destiny. You may also wish to check out the District e-Resources.
Through its collection, programs and facilities, Heritage Woods Secondary School Library has the dual goal:
- to promote and support literacy and the love of reading.
- to promote and support the teaching of information literacy whereby students
develop skills and attitudes necessary to access, evaluate and utilize information
effectively and ethically in order to become independent lifelong learners.
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (*The library closes at 3:00 p.m. the first Monday of each month for staff collaboration time.)
- The library operates on an open flexible schedule.
- Students are welcome to come into the library to browse through our collections, work quietly on their homework, use the Internet for school-related assignments, and/or read materials during the posted times.
- Teachers who have booked a section of the library for whole classroom research have priority over student drop-ins.
Madame Ferrer is the head teacher-librarian. She holds a diploma in Teacher Librarianship and a Master's Degree in Curriculum Studies from UBC, as well as a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from McGill University. A language enthusiast, Madame Ferrer has also studied French and Italian at the university level and learned Japanese during her two years of teaching English in Japan. She has been teaching in SD43 for over 20 years and during that time has taught a wide variety of courses including French Immersion, FSL, EAL, Japanese, and Science. She started up the French and Japanese language programs at Heritage Woods in 2004 and was Team Leader of Modern Languages for five years. She is currently School Leader of Curriculum Implementation.
Ms. Banman joined the library team in May 2017. She has a degree in English from UBC and brings a wealth of experience to her job. She is in the role of library assistant (clerical support).
Mr. Chaffee joined the library team in September 2021. He will be teaching in the library during block 2 in both semesters. His specialty teaching areas are Social Studies, in particular Political Studies and 20th Century World History.
Mr. Zenone joined the library team in February 2023. He will be teaching in the library during block 4 in semester 1. He also teaches English and is enthusiastic about promoting literacy.