A little about us...
Please search our collection. The home page has links to most of our online databases which are useful sources of information for parents too!
Through its collection, programs and facilities, Heritage Woods Secondary School Library has the dual goal:
- to promote and support literacy and the love of reading.
- to promote and support the teaching of information literacy whereby students
develop skills and attitudes necessary to access, evaluate and utilize information
effectively and ethically in order to become independent lifelong learners.
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
*Closed at 3:00 p.m. on staff meeting Mondays
- The library operates on an open flexible schedule.
- Students are welcome to come into the library to browse through our collections, work quietly on their homework, use the Internet for school-related assignments, and/or read materials during the posted times.
- Teachers who have booked a section of the library for whole classroom research have priority over student drop-ins.
Mme Ferrer is the head teacher-librarian. She holds a diploma in Teacher Librarianship and a Master's Degree in Curriculum Studies from UBC as well as a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from McGill University. A language enthusiast, Mme Ferrer has also studied French and Italian at the university level and learned Japanese during her two years of teaching English in Japan. She has been teaching in SD43 for 20 years and during that time has taught a wide variety of courses including French Immersion, FSL, EAL, Japanese, and Science. She started up the French and Japanese language programs at Heritage Woods in 2004 and was Team Leader of Modern Languages for five years. She is currently School Leader of New Curriculum Implementation. Mme Ferrer has been seconded to SD43's Learning Services department from October 7, 2019 - June 30, 2020. She will return to HWSS in September 2020. Ms. Byrne will be taking over as teacher-librarian and she brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the position.
Ms. Banman joined the library team in May 2017. She has a degree in English from UBC and brings a wealth of experience to her job.
Mr. Ross joined the library team in September 2017. He will be teaching every day during block 5 all year long. His specialty teaching areas are Social Studies and Geography.
Ms. Wood joined the library team in September 2017. She will be teaching alternating days during block 1 for the entire year. Her specialty teaching areas include Textiles and Food Studies.