As part of the District French Immersion program Ecole Kilmer Elementary provides instruction for students, whose first language is not French, the possibility of completing the prescribed BC curriculum and learning French at the same time. Participation in the program will support students as they develop strong communication skills in both English and French.
WHAT IS EARLY FRENCH IMMERSION?
- Early French Immersion is a program of choice offered by School District No. 43 (Coquitlam) at the Kindergarten to Grade 12 level.
- The Early French Immersion Program offers all students whose first language is not French the possibility of completing the prescribed B.C. curriculum and learn French at the same time.
- From Kindergarten to the end of Grade 2, all instruction is in French with English Language Arts beginning in Grade 4.
- Students also expand their cultural horizons and the program helps prepare students for the global economy.
- For the 2018/2019 school year the following elementary schools will be offering the program: Coquitlam River, Mary Hill, Irvine, Nestor, Glenayre, Panorama Heights, Kilmer, Porter Street, Rochester and Westwood (K)/Glen (1-5). The program is being phased out of Glen Elementary over the next five years.
- See Late French Immersion for information on Grade 6 entry.
- Click here to learn more.
- Children entering Kindergarten September 2019 must apply through the programs of choice online application process available in January 2019 - please check the website at www.sd43.bc.ca for further information.
All parents are encouraged to attend the parent information meeting to learn about the program that happens in the first week of January at Winslow Centre.
Information about Late French Immersion (which starts in Grade 6) s available by clicking on the link.