LATE FRENCH IMMERSION
Starting in Grade 6, the Late French Immersion program is an alternative program that offers students whose first language is not French the possibility of completing the prescribed B.C. curriculum and learning French at the same time.
The Late French Immersion Program:
- helps students develop strong communication skills in both English and French;
- expands cultural horizons and;
- helps prepare students for the global economy
Late French Immersion is a two-year program offered at the Grades 6-7 level that enables students to build their French language skills so they can join Early French Immersion students when they reach high school and continue in French Immersion until the end of Grade 12.
In Grade 6: 80% of instructional time is in French. Exploration subjects are usually taught in English. English Language Arts are not taught in the first year of late immersion.
In Grade 7-8: 70% of instructional time is in French. English Language Arts and Exploration subjects are usually taught in English.
Which schools offer Late French Immersion?
Application Process for Early and Late French Immersion
- Children entering Kindergarten in September 2022 must apply through the Programs of Choice online.
- Students entering Grade 1 (currently in Kindergarten) wishing to enroll, please contact Sophie Bergeron at 604-937-6392 and should not apply online.
- Kindergarten children with siblings in the program must still apply online on the main page of our website and will be given highest priority (provided the sibling will still be in attendance the following school year), if space is available.
- Children with siblings in a Program of Choice must still apply online.
- Applications will be processed on a RANDOM DRAW BASIS.
To apply for:
Early and Late French Immersion for September 2022
Kindergarten Program of Choice parents will be notified by email on the status of their application beginning Monday, January 24th.
Late Program of Choice parents will be notified by email on the status of their application beginning Tuesday, January 25th.