What type of student is most successful in Encompass K-9?
- Successful students are eager to learn, can work independently and have a strong relationship with the parent that will be supporting their learning.
How often do teachers meet with students and for how long each time?
- Teachers generally meet with students one-on-one for 1 hour every two weeks. Weekly classes with peers are not currently happening due to COVID-19.
How is Encompass K-9 different from traditional home-schooling?
- The program is delivered September to June.
- Each student's program is presented in a Student Learning Plan tailored to the needs of the student and the provincial curriculum requirements and it is under the supervision of a certified teacher.
- Program planning is done by the Encompass certified teacher in consultation with the parents and student.
- On a regular basis, our certified teachers lead instruction, assess student learning, evaluate and provide feedback on student learning.
- The students enjoy joining with other students in K-9 at the weekly, on-site offerings and occasional field trips (Not currently happening due to COVID-19).
Do we have to be living in Coquitlam to register for Encompass K-9?
- Students from outside of the Coquitlam catchment are welcome!
Do we have to be living in Canada to register for Encompass K-9?
- Families who maintain residency in British Columbia and are out of the country for less than 2 years are welcome to register.
Do you provide opportunities for my child to meet other students in Encompass K-9?
- Due to COVID-19, peer interactions are not being supported at this time.
Which curriculum does Encompass K-9 use? Can I use my own curriculum and be registered in Encompass K-9?
- Encompass K-9 is a fully funded public school which uses the British Columbia mandated curriculum. Curriculum can be adapted to suit the needs of your child but the prescribed learning outcomes from the province must be met.
Are there any costs associated with Encompass K-9?
- Just like any school, there can be small fees for things like field trips, but there are no tuition costs for the program.
Do I need to stay home?
- The most successful students in this program are those who have a strong relationship with the parent supporting their learning. This usually means that the parent is able to stay home with the student to provide accountability to complete all assignments to the best of their ability.
Can my child move back into a regular "bricks and mortar" school at some point in the future?
- Encompass K-9 is a fully funded public school with fully certified public school teachers, which uses the British Columbia mandated curriculum. This means that students are able to move easily back into a regular school at any point during the program. A space in your catchment school is not guaranteed when leaving Encompass.
Are there any reimbursement funds available for my child and how can I access it?
- Reimbursement guidelines are available at the school and funds are made available for students depending on when they register during the school year.
- All registration for extra-curricular activities must be made by the Encompass teacher.