The Aboriginal Education Program is designated to promote the cultural identity of our Aboriginal students as well as raise awareness of the diversity of Aboriginal cultures within our district.
The Aboriginal Education Program focuses on Aboriginal studies, cultural activities, cultural facilitation, as well as academic encouragement and direct support. The services provided for our Aboriginal students and district staff may be delivered through:
- a pull-out cultural program
- after-school cultural activities
- after-school tutoring program
- in-class presentations by First Nations resource personnel
- career exploration & leadership training opportunities
- the sharing of resources with a school, an individual teacher or through in-service
- the development of curriculum and resource materials
- a referral to a First Nations Youth Worker
Referral Process To a First National Youth Worker
A referral is necessary to access the services of our First Nations Youth Workers. Referrals for service come through a counselor, case manager or the School-Based Team.
The Aboriginal Education Program has established an Aboriginal Parent Group. These informal monthly meetings are open to parents, students and staff interested in Aboriginal activities and educational issues in Coquitlam. An Advisory Committee has also been established.