Encompass K-9 is able to support all types of students. We have a broad range of students that include those who are gifted, have full-time athletic commitments, dramatic pursuits, have identified special needs or just want to learn outside of a regular school environment.
Families who choose to participate in ‘Encompass K-9’ need to be committed to their child’s learning on a full-time basis. Students have significant learning to complete with the support of their parents at home. Students who are successful in an Encompass setting are eager to learn, can work independently and have a strong relationship with the parent that will be supporting their learning.
- Each student in Kindergarten to Grade Nine partakes in a full-time program tailored to his or her individual needs from September to June.
- Each student is provided with an individualized educational learning plan, reflective of the individual student’s needs, prepared by a B.C. certified teacher in collaboration with parents.
- Encompass K-9 offers maximum flexibility and choice for students
- All grade levels follow the B.C. Ministry of Education’s curriculum
- A B.C. certified teacher leads instruction, assesses student learning, evaluates and provides feedback on student learning on a regular and ongoing basis.
- Online, web-based courses are available to students in grades 7-9. All students work with materials and resources that are selected to meet their individual needs and interests and support their student learning plan.
- Individualized learning plans for each student
- Weekly onsite workshops for Physical Education, Fine Arts, Personal Planning and Social Responsibility
- Second language classes: online language classes through Rosetta Stone for students grades in 5-9
- Access to computer-based learning resources that support student learning (ie. Successmaker, Kidspiration and more)
- A small community-like learning environment
- Access to community-based programs and lessons such as music, fine arts and physical education programs through third party reimbursements (see reimbursement guidelines)
- Instructional expertise and assistance
- Online, web-based courses for grades 7-9
- District and Encompass K-9 student support services and expertise for designated special needs students
- School library services
- Curriculum resources
- Field trips
- Links to online resources
- Home visits (in extenuating circumstances only)